My photography journey started in high school. My high school offered a photography course and I got my first SLR film camera and I was hooked! I loved it and it became a hobby, but never something I thought I could turn into a career so I was off to college to major in business and put my artistic endeavors aside for the time being.
After completing my Bachelors degree and then my MBA, I decided a career in the corporate world was not for me. This happened because when my children were born, my inner photographer was born. I took thousands of photos of my firstborn in his first few weeks of life. I wanted to capture every little expression. I couldn't believe all of the amazing facets of his personality and how fast he grew. My other two children were no different. My children taught me to focus on what I was passionate about...which is being their mom and capturing those precious moments through photography. I know how much a photograph means to a parent because I am a parent too, clicking away to document their smiles and silly faces and capture their personalities and their beauty so I can look back and remember these days. My photographic style is a mix of lifestyle and posed because I value telling a story as much as looking at a really beautiful piece of art.
As a photographer, I am continually learning and honing my craft, attending big photography conferences like the Professional Photographer's of America's annual Imaging USA conference, the Baby Summit which focuses on newborn, baby, and maternity photography, and The Newborn Retreat which is held annually to teach newborn photographers the latest in posing and newborn safety. In addition to these larger conferences, I have trained with several of the top newborn photographers across the world in small group settings. I strongly believe that someone handling a newborn and photographing those very fleeting moments should be highly trained and experienced. Newborns change so quickly and I know that parents won't get a second chance to have their baby's newborn photos taken as within weeks that tiny baby will have already grown and changed!
What you can expect from me:
1) Your session with me will always be laid back.
2) I do not expect your two year old to follow directions, your newborn to sleep the whole time, or your kids to be on their best behavior. I do not expect dad to be comfortable in front of the camera or mom to be stress free after she just completed the nearly impossible task of prepping a family for family photos. If any of these things happen I will be amazed and tell you so!
3) I will play with your kids and act super goofy so I can get to know them and make sure that they are having fun. Happy kids = real smiles = fantastic photos! Plus, I love to be goofy and have fun. Kids are awesome!
4) If you are having your newborn photographed, I will treat your little one like my own. Frequent breaks for feedings, rocking and cuddling, and cleaning up after a baby who is diaperless for the shoot is par for the course. I love newborns and really enjoy getting those precious photos for you.
5) I am versatile. You have great ideas you want to include? Cool. You have no idea what you want? That's cool too. I'm sure to have lots of ideas for you.